Saturday, February 27, 2010

SaaiFon's Cemetery Tour

When I read that there was a Nationalist Chinese Soldiers cemetery in Chiang Khong where over 200 KMT soldiers were buried, I was intrigued. (Partly because I had written my first real research paper in high school about the Civil War in China when the communists took over "Red China" in 1949.) So when SaaiFon, the owner of BaanPakPon, asked me if I would like to go with her on her motorcycle for a scenic tour, I said, "Yes!" and asked if we could also visit the cemetery. She didn't know anything about it but I found where it was and we stopped there.

The graves are all angled on a hill so they face China. The caretaker told us that he and other soldiers buried there had fought with Thai soldiers against communists in Laos and China. There's also a shrine built there containing old photos of KMT soldiers-at-arms and a painting of a princess from China(?). Photos here.

[KMT, located in Taiwan, was led by Chiang Kai-shek and ruled much of China from 1928 until its forced retreat to Taiwan in 1949 after defeat by the Communist Party of China during the Chinese Civil War. The KMT are known simply as "Nationalist China" after its ruling party.]

After seeing how interested I was in this SaaiFon offered to take me to two Thai cemeteries (with crematorium) in town also. Here are those photos.