Sunday, December 30, 2007

Christmas Party at ThaiThai Coffee



Today I went to a fun Christmas/New Year's get-together at House of Thai Thai Coffee which serves the best cappucino I've ever tasted. The gathering consisted of some of the staff and family, a few Thai instructors, some of their students and a few loyal customers - I think around 22 people. We had delicious Gaaeng Kiiao Waan Gai
(green chicken curry) with rice noodles, fresh raw basil and bean sprouts, a tasty spicy veggie ravioli, carrot cake, oranges and, of course, Thai coffee. [This is Ann, one of the instructors who has helped me a lot with my Thai.]

We brought small gifts (100 Baht or about $3) and drew numbers, presenting the gift to the person who drew our number with sà-wát-dii bpii mài (Happy New Year). We each introduced ourselves to the group - in paasaa thai (Thai Language), sharing name, where we were from, how long in Chiang Mai and what we were doing there. chăn chêuu Gail, chăn bpen kon American, phák yuu thîi nîi nai Chiang Mai sii deuuan, bpen aa-jaan gày-sĕe-yon láao, phák róorn bpai tîao láe gamlang khìían nãng-sèúua. I have no idea how many people understood me - but I knew what I was saying.

Thai Thai Coffee is a combination of three excellent litle businesses - coffee bar, language center and Thai Culture/Adventure touring.

Why do people travel? To escape their creditors. To find a warmer or cooler clime. To sell Coca-Cola to the Chinese. To find out what is over the seas, over the hills and far away, round the corner, over the garden wall. -- Eric Newby, A Traveller’s Life