Monday, December 3, 2018

2018-19 Feeding Bananas to Elephant Statues

A few days ago, Jim and I stopped in with my baggage at Kasem's in Chiang Mai to pick up a few items we cannot get in Lamphun. Yai Ghee, the elderly owner (second generation of 3) asked where we were headed. I told her near Khu Chaang in Lamphun. She got quite excited, believing we were living near a live elephant (chaang) park when, in fact, it is a war elephant shrine with only statues. She immediately selected three large bunches of bananas for me and said we were to feed the elephants. I couldn't convince her with my Thai that they were not live elephants. She laughed, mimicked the movement of an elephant’s trunk, urging more bananas on us and finally showed her we could only handle one bunch. As we left, she said, "You eat, too!"