Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Thai Hospitality, Generosity and Kindness

For better viewing, go to All's Well

As some of you may know, a pickup truck collided with my bicycle last month, causing me to hit the pavement and I have been recovering from an injury to my back and hip. When an ambulance (a free shuttle service, not an indicator of my not-too-serious condition) delivered me back to the GuestHouse, Sopa (owner), Ann (a Thai guest here) and Niit (on staff) - along with my friends here in CM - showed up at my room to find out what was wrong, was I ok, etc. Soon, they'd delivered to our room a tiger-balm like substance for my bruises, super strength naproxen for the pain, and Thai soup and other delicacies from the kitchen. Niit even gave rain poncho for Jim to wear when he went out to do errands during an unexpected rainstorm. For the next few days, they checked in on me, brought meals from GH restaurant that I ordered, along with a few dishes they made for me off-menu. All very healing. This was 2 weeks ago.

Yesterday, when I returned from hospital after having contusion drained again, Ann and Sopa brought me a tray of food they’d been preparing in the restaurant kitchen for their dinner. Mind you, I am totally mobile now.

Today, when I returned from bicycling out for coffee, I found the food on our patio table that you see below. There is chicken, a plastic bag of broth, a plate of banana slices with fresh-shaved young coconut (along with a separate mixture of sugar, salt and caroway (?) which I will pass on), two parcels of banana and sticky rice wrapped in banana leaves, and a dish of cooked pumpkin and eggs, half of which I ate before taking this photo. In the background, is a hand of กล้วยไข่ (gluai kai, tiny bananas) given to me by my friend Dtuum yesterday.

Is it any wonder that we love northern Thailand?