Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Random Acts of Kindness


Or, How a Pine Cone Turned into a Box of Girl Scout Cookies.


Jim is visiting his mother in Ft. Walton Beach, Florida.
He wrote last week,

While biking around town, I spied a cluster of pine cones at the base of a huge pine tree. The cones were enormous. Decided to stop and collect a few. As soon as I got off the bike, a van suddenly pulled up right next to me. It startled me. Then I noticed the van was filled with teenagers. The lady driver lowered her window and said, "We are doing random acts of kindness. Would you like this box of cookies?" I looked at her beaming face, the smiling youngsters, the box, and then read lettering on side of van, "Mary Esther United Methodist Church."

I nodded and she handed me the box saying, "God bless you!" By the time I was able to thank her/them, she was driving away. Somehow, a pine cone had evolved into a box of Girl Scout cookies. It all happened so quickly. I stood there stunned and thankful."


After sharing this story with Julie, a friend of mine, she says she often does this when out and about with her young nieces and they love it - what a great idea!