Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Jim in the Philippines

The Philippines is very different from any other country in SE Asia that I have visited. Only been here a couple of days, but have concluded these folks are Asian Latinos. If I didn't know better, would swear I was in Juarez, Mexico. Most of the people are Catholic. It was a Spanish colony for more than three hundred years and Spain certainly left its mark. Today there are many signs of poverty, much unemployment and under-employment, Western music blaring, greasy food, aggressive behavior: it doesn't feel that safe here and I can tell Manila is going to be a challenge. Way too hot and busy. [More photos.]

The good news is that I am in an excellent guesthouse not far from the airport. The middle-aged Japanese husband and Philippino couple who own it are wonderful people. Have already met some other fine people. One of the flight attendants on last leg from South Korea to Manila was a lovely Philippino lady, who provided much helpful information. She even wrote out directions for getting to my guesthouse from the airport, plus a list of foods I should try. In fact, that last flight, which was with Asian Airlines, was very enjoyable, even though 36 hours had elapsed since leaving Maine. Shortly after boarding, I was suddenly surrounded by several beautiful flight attendants. Wondered what I had done wrong to deserve this kind of attention. Then it became clear; they had noticed the bandaid covering a cut on my hand was flapping loose. They were there to rescue me; one of them took the old one off and another replaced it with a new one. Would not have received this kind of nurturing from United Air folks on my previous segments.

Some comments about Islas 8817 Guesthouse [where I am now] from previous guests:
I have been traveling all over the world for over a decade and this may be the best hostel I have ever stayed in. They are two of the nicest, friendliest most welcoming people I have ever met. If you stay anywhere else, you are crazy!!!! . . . . All I can say is “Wow! What a positive surprise!” . . . . This was a true “Home away from Home”, which you can not feel even in 5-star hotels. Very nice home-made foods. The owner lady cooked a very nice Korean Kimchi stew just for dinner just for me, with the owner providing lots of valuable local information and advice. A bit off to the metro, but very close to the airport and quite easy to get around with 150 pesos taxi fare. Will come back again within next few months. Two thumbs up!

Jim next took a 7 hour bus ride to Baguio, which is high up in the moutains with much more comfortable weather, not hot and humid like Manila. The town had been designed for 20,000 residents (an American summer capital) back in the early 1900's and the population has swelled to over 300,000 with way too much traffic! He wrote that the sidewalks are so crowded with people, you have to walk in the street much of the time. "The foot traffic is comparable to the busiest day at the Fryeburg Fair. Needless to say, I was not happy there. [The town of Sagada was recommended to Jim as a much quieter place. Although known for its pleasant climate, pine sceneries, rocky terrain, waterfalls, centuries-old burial caves, rice terraces, local weaving and hanging coffins (?), Jim decided that Sagada was "not the place for me - an 8PM curfew, no ATMs, and no TVs [news and sports] in GHs.]

After 3 days in Baguio, caught a bus to the coastal town of San Fernando. That turned out to be a good decision. It was busy, but nothing like Baguio. And the people were friendlier. After one night there, I moved a few miles north to the small village of San Juan. This a wonderful place to hang out. Am staying at Hacienda Peters's Beach Resort right on a beach. Surfers come here from Manila and other countries in the west. I could stay here a long time."

Some humor:
"A sign at a Manila train stop listed 'obviously pregnant' as one of the categories for a discounted fare."
"In Baguio shortly after I arrived, a cop asked me to go to the police station with him. He pointed to a sign that said 'No jaywalking. I had just jaywalked and figured a fine was in order. At the station, told him I just arrived in town. He was good about it, gave me some ideas on places to stay, warned me about pickpockets, etc. After getting a room and checking out the town, I realized jaywalking was no big deal. Everywhere you looked, people were walking in the street. There was no way the police could enforce such a law."