Saturday, March 15, 2008

Hitchhiking Adventures

As you all know, Jim loves to hitchhike when in Southeast Asia. (Buses are too slow and boring...and predictable.) I've already posted one such adventure this past December 07, when he was on his way from Chiang Mai to Khon Kaen. The two cities are 1629 Km apart through some beautiful countryside in several national parks.

When in Laos in January, he hooked up with a couple guys - from Sweden and Hungary - when hitching from Luang Prabang back to Vang Vieng, a distance of only 230 km but on a pretty rough route "not recommended for nervous persons."



At one point, the truck they were riding in the back of, picked up a couple guys with AK7s. "They appeared friendly, but were armed with AK 47 machine guns. This made us a little edgy. The Hungarian was especially nervous and said, 'These guys are dirt poor. They could point those guns in our faces and it would be all over.' I responded, 'You are right. I hope they are soldiers, not rebels or outlaws. Keep smiling. Let's think positive.' My buddy nodded, saying, 'We just give them everything we have and hope that's enough.' I was not that worried because the driver did not seem stressed. Of course, this could have been a scam involving the driver, but I didn't want to think so."

To see more of Jim's photos and his commentary, click here.

After arriving safely in Vang Vieng, Jim noticed a bar near his guesthouse that had posted a sign, looking for persons to hand out ads for the bar, offering free drinks and food in return to anyone that would do that.

Jim writes, "I walked there and offered to do the job. The Laos bar owner told me if I found a second person to work with me, then she would hire me."[Not sure why it was a two-man job.]

"I wandered around town looking for that second person. Was having no luck, until one guy I tried to recruit said, ' have a bar across the street - I'll give you the same deal. Work for me.' So, I said OK."

"After about an hour of this demanding work, I met some Malaysian guys and led them back to the bar. They invited me to join them and bought me a beer. And then I was offered a third job."

"They wanted a guide that night to check out the town. I agreed to do it. They spoke good English and I was already getting bored with my second job. So, I took them to all my favorite places and they paid for everything. Some of the places were very far off the tourist map... After a few hours, we parted company. I think it was a good experience for all of us." [Now if only he could get his green card.]

I think of about all the different ways we leave people in this world. Cheerily waving goodbye to some at airports, knowing we’ll never see each other again. Leaving others on the side of the road, hoping that we will. — Amy Tan